Adaptability and Preparing for the Unknown This Fall
Our Returning Stronger Together plan is designed to enable detailed planning by all members of the UCCS community for a safe, successful and experience-rich return to campus life. While much of the framework is designed to bring us back to on-campus life this summer and into the fall semester, this will serve as a baseline for the entire 2020-21 academic year. We know our UCCS community – and our approaches to the changes in the public health situation – will need to remain flexible so that we may adjust and adapt to new circumstances. While we hope for the best and a return to full campus activities as soon as possible, we will continue to plan for a variety of potential scenarios – all with a focus on your health and wellness to help achieve our vision for a vibrant UCCS community.
- July 10: Department supervisors submit re-opening template for review.
- July 13: Phase 1 campus reopening. Open select infrastructure (essential and some critical buildings, offices and services) and have supervisors review procedures, processes and train their teams, allowing time to adjust for those returning to campus.
- July 27: Phase 2 campus reopening. Staff return per department-level planning; academic buildings open for faculty who need to return to campus to test classroom equipment or otherwise prepare for classes; and preparations continue for student arrival. Orientation begins for small groups of prospective students and families for tours and information session (University Center including Bookstore and Library opens; select student services offices open for limited hours for orientation only).
- August 10: Phase 3 campus reopening. Open campus with public health guidelines in place; students can come to campus for services; preparations continue for fall semester start; and Family Development Center and retail dining operations open.
- August 24: First day of fall semester classes.
Preserving the health and safety of our campus community, including students, faculty, staff and friends of UCCS is at the heart of every decision made. While returning to campus, we will continue to implement and utilize best practices to keep you safe.
With appointed teams staying up-to-date on the latest developments at a state, local and federal level, we will continue to innovate while adapting our academic programming to meet challenges facing our university.
Together, we will persevere through a trying time. As a campus community, we will continue to offer ways to support one another. With support from counseling options, community training and support outlets, we will not lose sight of our shared mission.
What the UCCS fall semester will look like
A mix of in-person and online classes
We understand the need to deliver some courses in-person, and we will strive for a mix of in-person and online courses to fuel your success. Our faculty members have been teaching online for years, and our students will receive the same rigorous education.
An in-person experience at UCCS
Students will have the opportunity to live on campus this fall. While we are taking precautions, we are excited to announce housing assignments in the month of June. We will also provide fall programming, although the mix of programming is yet to be determined.
The health of our campus community is our priority
Our fall plan continues to be developed, but we are already implementing safety measures on multiple levels.
A Return for Faculty and Staff
If employees can work remotely, they should do so, unless in an area that requires them to be on campus. Employees should work with their direct supervisor and follow vice chancellor guidance.
An Important Commitment
UCCS will continue to identify and promote opportunities to support and enable city and county government, regional health organizations, business, our higher education partners and our veterans to be safe, healthy and successful as we work through COVID-19 impacts – together.